Thursday, April 22, 2010

My name is Michelle, and I'm an International Student


Where were you born?

I was born in Manila, Philippines and am a Filipino citizen; however, a month after I was born, my family moved to Beijing, China. I spent most of my life being raised there, and is where my home still is.

How do you first hear about Fordham, and what interested you?

I attended the International School of Beijing, which has long standing relations with European, Australian, and American colleges and universities. Because of this, my junior and senior years I was able to attend college fairs and college visits through our counseling department. Fordham's international visit from the International student recruiter, Monica, was what initially exposed me to the school and was what made me gain interest in attending. My initial interest in applying to Fordham was almost based solely on the appeal of attending a school in New York City that still maintained a strong campus life.

What would you say your biggest challenge was in coming to study in the US?

Growing up I had no doubt in my mind that I would attend school in the US. But my biggest fear coming into Fordham was not being understood as an specific kind of "international" student. Mainly because even in my 'home' of Beijing I was still considered "international", I just assumed that where I was coming from would be a point of confusion. I was also very cautious about applying to a suitcase school (a school where all the students are from nearby and go home every weekend) and made sure that I applied to places that had very prominent on campus student life. Fordham does have a lot of students from the Northeastern US, but there are tons of students from all over the US. The campus life at Fordham really appealed to me.

My biggest challenge did not involve getting used to the curriculum or learning about American social norms, but really was more of getting used to independence and how to balance responsibilities as an independant person, away from home and family.

Now that you've been at Fordham for a few years, what would you say has been your most rewarding experience?

One of the most rewarding experiences that I have felt makes my time here worthwhile is my involvement with school activies. When I get involved and take on responsibilities there is a sense of fufillment and purpose in what I am doing whether it be for my own enjoyment or for class or extra credit. Fordham has many clubs and cultural organizations, and I've really enjoyed the things I have been involved in and the people I have met.

No comments:

Post a Comment