Tuesday, March 30, 2010

My name is Elizabeth, and I'm an International Student


Meet Elizabeth, a current sophomore at Fordham Rose Hill with a double major in Art and Art History, and a concentration in drawing and painting. Elizabeth is from Washington DC, but was born overseas and spent most of her life living abroad. As she came from a government family, she moved around a lot as a child, frequently switching international schools.

I recently sat down with Elizabeth and asked her some questions about her transition from living overseas to attending high school and college in the US.

So, first of all, where overseas have you lived?

My parents both work for the US government, so I was born on a military base in the Philippines. I attended elementary school in Indonesia, before moving to Peru for middle school. My family and I moved back to the US where I attended high school in DC.

Wow, so you've really moved around.

Yeah, definitely. See, I was really used to moving around and going to international schools, and I had a great time. Then my family and I moved back to DC, and I went to high school in Maryland.

How would you describe the transition? What was one thing that really stuck out to you?

The biggest shock when I started going to school in the US was that Americans were the majority, rather than the minority. I'd gone to international schools for my entire life, and then I went from that to going to a very small, Catholic, all-girls school in Maryland. It was a huge change. For one thing, there wasn't as much diversity as I had been used to. I felt like an oddity, like I didn't fit in. I stayed at that school for one year and then transferred to a co-ed Catholic high school. That was better, but I still felt kind of left out. Most of these kids had been going to school together their whole lives, and had grown up in DC, whereas I had always been moving around.

What drew you to Fordham?

I was really drawn to Fordham's location and diversity. It made me feel comfortable, like I hadn't felt at those schools in DC. My transition to college was actually pretty easy. I loved the fact that Fordham was in New York. I was looking for the diversity that I didn't see in high school, and Fordham gave that to me. The great thing is that New York City attracts people from all over the country and all over the world, from all different walks of life. So, it was a place where I felt comfortable as "an international student" because I didn't feel like I stuck out.

What specific things about Fordham struck you?

I wanted to go to a Catholic, Jesuit school. Yes, there are many Jesuit colleges throughout the US and in DC, but the fact that Fordham was in New York gave it a real edge for me. If you're looking for a Jesuit school where you will have fantastic opportunities, Fordham is your school. Being an Art major in New York City has also been a fantastic experience for me. I really take advantage of our location. Every weekend, I head into the city on the Ram Van and go to galleries and museums for homework, class, or just for fun. I love that I can go to the Metropolitan Museum and see classic older works of art, and then hop on the subway and head down to Chelsea to see the work of new, avant-garde, and upcoming artists. The old and the new interact, and, I feel, really enrich my experience.

What was your biggest concern going to school in the States?

I really didn't want to stick out. When you come from overseas, you just want to feel comfortable. You don't want to stick out, and just be "the international kid." What I really loved about Fordham was that everyone was so open and friendly, and really helpful in catering to my special needs. Also, a lot of students--even from the US--are not familiar with New York, so in many cases, you're all learning and experiencing new things together. My biggest fear was coming to a place where everyone knew each other and what was going on, and feeling like I was in an unfamiliar place. At Fordham, however, you adjust with everyone. Everyone is so welcoming willing to help you along. In that way, Fordham made my adjustment less scary than I thought it would be.

***

No comments:

Post a Comment